Tuesday, June 9, 2009

THIS IS KENYA- ALSO







I haven't written in a while. We have had two teams here in Maai Mahiu and so we have been pretty busy. Last week the Kansas College Team helped to build a new floor for one of the classrooms and part of the funds that they raised went to purchasing a brand new giant fuel efficient stove for Ngeya Primary! The week went well as the DWC team from Canada had a lighter week of working in the garden and then traveling to Good Shepard Orphanage to play with the kids. They wrapped up their week by having a bbq and slaughtering a goat here in town and then Sunday they all hiked Mt. Longonot!

Saturday we took the Kansas team to Nairobi where they would later catch their flight. Before we got there we stopped by an elephant sanctuary where there were bunches of orphaned baby elephants. We also got to check out a baby rhino! SO CUTE! Two of the girls from Kansas are staying on with us because they will be doing nutrition demonstrations during the free medical clinic next week in Maai Mahiu. We started preparing for the med teams arrival and tomorrow will begin our clinic appointment setting days to arrange appointments for the sick here in Maai Mahiu.

We figured before the madness begins we might as well have a mini vacation day. Mayers farm is about 20 minutes from Maai Mahiu which is shocking because they look like polar opposites. The Mayers farm has a natural spring on premises and that is where they bottle their water. They also have turned old farmhouses into houses that you can rent out for the night. We laid out in the sun, relaxed and then Nathan cooked us a pretty awesome dinner. Had a glass of wine and just chilled out by the fire and told jokes until we were all exhausted. It was a great way to chill before the upcoming weeks.

In other news, I have tried to change my plane ticket but it looks like I am shit out of luck. so i will be heading home next week. I am not sure how I feel about it, I will admit here and there I get a little home sick but I know that when I get home this is the only place that I will want to be. This trip has been so different from my previous trips because I got to live in the community and walk to work everyday. The office here is pretty sweet because most of the time you are mingling with the disabled children and you can hear them sing and laugh most of the day.
Ok I am getting weepy just thinking about leaving so I guess this time will be much harder than I thought. I have had more of a chance to take in Kenya and it will be a tearful goodbye.

P.S. You have no idea how amazing the feeling was to walk barefoot on grass. Something we really take for granted.

2 comments:

  1. That first photo is now my desktop wallpaper. I hope you don't charge royalty fees for your images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! we miss you here in SD!!

    ReplyDelete